lucky you - your browser doesnt play annoying midis

Provide free mammograms!

11/17/11 - NNHS Newsletter - I Say a Little Prayer

No one is a firmer believer in the power of prayer than the devil;
not that he practices it, but he suffers from it.

- Guy H. King

Dear Friends and Schoolmates,

   Here's a nice peaceful golden oldie for you.

BONUS - - I Say a Little Prayer - Dionne Warwick, 1967  


"I Say a Little Prayer" is a song written by songwriters Burt Bacharach and Hal David for Dionne Warwick, originally peaking at number four on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart in December 1967.[1]

The song was Warwick's second single from her Scepter Records album The Windows Of The World, following the LP's title track. The tune reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #8 on the Billboard R & B Chart in December 1967, and #4 on the Canadian Charts and was a certified US million seller by the RIAA. The single later appeared on the LP Dionne Warwick's Golden Hits, Part Two and is considered one of Warwick's signature songs. The flip or "B-side" of the single (Theme from) Valley of the Dolls was also a million seller and rode the #2 position for 4 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 and CashBox singles chart and the # 1 position on the Record World Top 40 Chart in February 1968.

"I Say a Little Prayer" and its B-side, "(Theme from) Valley of the Dolls", became one of the most successful double sided hits of the Rock era. Like several Bacharach compositions, "I Say a Little Prayer" contains passages written in unusual time signatures. The verses are constructed of 2 successive measures of 4/4, a measure of 10/4 (using 4/4 + 2/4 + 4/4), and 2 final measures of 4/4. The chorus is in 11/4 (using 4/4 + 3/4 + 4/4).


1.   From Gene Shelton ('64) of VA - 11/15/11, 9:23 AM:


Please add me to your list for the monthly newsletter and any other info. that you post.

Terry G. Shelton '64 NNHS.

   Welcome aboard, Terry - oops, I mean, Gene! You may have noticed that I'm working even further behind than usual, but I did get your picture added to the Alumni Page for the Class of '64:

I'm just assuming (always a bad plan) that's the way you'd like your name shown, and that you live in Virginia; I'm wondering if you had any military service...

   Would you like your email addy posted or kept private?

   ...You might enjoy reading this about our fun times in biology class with
      Miss Allen (I may have sent this to you before; refer back to that headache thingie...):


   Oh, it's actually "posta" be a daily Newsletter - or at least every other day - and I hope we'll resume normal production soon now...


Happy Birthday today to Ronald Creech ('57)!

   Happy Birthday tomorrow to   Joe Drewry ('58) of VA AND    Jane Coltrane Leonard ('64) of VA AND   Ann Allen ('65) of NC!

   Happy Birthday this week to:

23 -   Sandra Ray ('61) of VA AND   John Howard ('66) of VA AND Peggy Cooke Wolfley ('71) of VA AND the late Fayetta Covert Stansbury (NNHS / Ferguson HS - '72) (deceased 06/03/10)!

24 -     Sharon Hilsdon Bryant ('68) of VA! 

   Many Happy Returns, One and All!



Saturday, Nov. 16, 1861

The USS San Jacinto pulled into port at Ft. Monroe, Va., with four more passengers than she had had when she left: Confederate Commissioners Mason and Slidell and their two male secretaries. Captain Charles Wilkes had taken them off the British mail packet Trent a few days earlier, after compelling the unarmed vessel to heave to under threat of arms. As news of the seizure spread through the North, Wilkes was being hailed as a hero for the capture. The Confederates were taken to Fort Warren in Boston Harbor for imprisonment. Newspaper headlines applauded the event as helping prevent foreign intervention in the War, little realizing that the headlines in Europe were announcing just the opposite.

Sunday, Nov. 16, 1862

U.S. Gen. Ambrose Burnside had found himself in a job he did not want, command of the Army of the Potomac, due in large part to Abraham Lincoln’s frustration with his predecessor, George McClellan. McClellan had largely created the army out of the mobs of disorganized civilians who had rushed to enlist, but then didn’t seem to want to get any of them hurt by actually fighting anybody. Burnside’s orders, whether spoken or not, were clear: go fight somebody, preferably Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Therefore, despite the date, he today ordered his men to pack up and march across the Rappahannock River. There was some difficulty with the units of Confederate forces who were keeping an eye on them, leading to a skirmish at the river crossing known as U.S. Ford.

Monday, Nov. 16, 1863

After Gettysburg, James Longstreet’s corps had been detached from the Army of Northern Virginia and sent West to assist the Army of Tennessee. They arrived just in time to help win the Battle of Chickamauga, but since then they had had little to do except help maintain the siege of the Union forces stuck in Chattanooga. Finally they had headed in the direction of Knoxville, and today Longstreet was at the little town of Campbell’s Station. Burnside’s forces were nearby, and if Confederate intelligence had been just a little better, or if the army could have moved just a little faster, events could have been greatly different. Longstreet, however, did not move quite fast enough to cut off Burnside’s retreat, and his forces escaped into Knoxville.

Wednesday, Nov. 16, 1864

The last of the two wings of Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman’s army pulled out of Atlanta today, leaving the city a smoking ruin behind them. In a calculated move to, as Sherman said, bring the realities of the battlefield’s suffering to the civilians who supported the troops, a new style of war targeting the home front was invented. From this point forward Sherman’s troops would carry no supplies but ammunition, and tents for those who wanted to carry them. They would live off the land entirely, taking or destroying everything in their path. The bitterness this “dishonorable” style of war left in the hearts of Georgians was immense.



Sunday, Nov. 17, 1861

The Anaconda Plan, as it had been called, was the overall Union strategy to win the Civil War. It required two essential things to succeed: recapture and control of the Mississippi River, to cut the Eastern Confederacy off from the West, and a blockade of all possible shipping from overseas. The blockade’s effectiveness had been slow to develop, due to a shortage of vessels and sailors to man them, but this was starting to change. The Union gunboat Connecticut seized a heavily-loaded British ship trying to sneak through the blockade off the coast of Florida. The capture was completed just off a small promontory known as Cape Canaveral.

Monday, Nov. 17, 1862

At this stage in the War, the Army of the Potomac was not divided up into Corps, but instead had just two parts, the Left and Right Grand Divisions. Gen. Ambrose Burnside, who had been in command of the army for barely a week, was still getting used to the reins of command at this level, but he knew one thing for sure: he had to do some fighting. He had therefore directed the men to head in the general direction of Fredericksburg, Va. The Right Grand Division, under command of Gen. Edwin Vose Sumner, arrived today on the heights of Falmouth, across the Rappahannock River from the destination. It did not take very much cavalry scouting to follow a force of this size, and the Confederates were well aware of their movements.

Tuesday, Nov. 17, 1863

There had been several attempts to tackle the Western jewel of the Confederate States of America, Texas, but none had succeeded very well or lasted very long. Another such strike was made today, and this time considerably greater force was being employed. The USS Monongahela was the escort gunboat for a fleet of troop transporters. They, in turn, were carrying more than a thousand soldiers as they traveled toward Aransas Pass, Tex. The immediate target was the Confederate garrison guarding this pass from Mustang Island. After a preliminary softening-up barrage from the ships’ guns, an amphibious landing was made. The defenders, trapped, had no solution but surrender, and the first day went well for the Union.

Thursday, Nov. 17, 1864

When William Tecumseh Sherman was settling the structure of his army, he had divided it into left and right wings. Each wing was made up of two corps each, under commanders Sherman considered solid and capable of maneuvering units of that size. They were all pulling away from the ruins of Atlanta today, but they were going by four different roads. The intent was to confuse any Southern spies as to their true intention and destination. As a deception it worked perfectly; observers, each seeing only one corps on the move, reported that Sherman was just doing some local maneuvering. Even if the reports had been correlated at a higher level, there was not much the Confederacy could have done about the March to the Sea, as they had no substantial forces close enough to act.

  From Gene Shelton ('64) of VA to       Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 11/14/11, 9:21 PM - "Two ladies who graduated from NNHS back in the late thirties-early forties":

Hello David,

Two ladies that I know from here in the county are graduates of NNHS. Their maiden names were Jackie and Beverly Coleman. They graduated from NNHS back in '39 or 40 and possibly 41 or 42. My uncle Sam Coleman was their first cousin. Could you try to locate them in a yearbook or whatever so that I could share it with them? They were surprised to find out that NNHS now has a website and support group even though the school has been closed for thirty years or more.

Thank you, David,


      From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA to    Gene Shelton ('64) of VA,      Fred Mays ('60) of VA, and      Me ('65) of NC - 11/14/11, 10:03 PM - "RE: Two ladies who graduated from NNHS back in the late thirties-early forties":

Fred & Carol,

I could always go to the Hilton Library and check the Anchors there, but this is a lot easier.

Can you help Gene with this?

When replying, please be sure to “reply to all”.


     From Me ('65 - of NC) - 11/15/11, 12:26 AM to   Gene Shelton ('64) of VA,       Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA, and       Fred Mays ('60) of VA - "RE: Two ladies who graduated from NNHS back in the late thirties-early forties":

Hi, Guys,

   No joy with Jackie, but   Beverly Coleman graduated in February '39. Charles Coleman and Lois Kathleen Coleman graduated in June '42.

   Hope this helps.....


  From Gene Shelton ('64) of VA - 11/15/11, 9:09 AM:


Beverley's younger sister, Jackie, graduated from another high school, however, her older brother graduated from NNHS. His name was Robert Ingersol Coleman, Jr. If you can scan photos of both Beverley and Robert, please forward them to me. Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Gene Shelton (Terry)

     From Fred Mays ('60) of VA    Gene Shelton ('64) of VA,       Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA, and      Me ('65) of NC - 11/15/11, 5:38 PM - "RE: Two ladies who graduated from NNHS back in the late thirties-early forties":

Dear All: 

It is interesting that I received this email today as it is so timely.  Okay, I can say that Beverly Coleman graduated from Newport News in Feb. 1939.  I looked her up in the yearbook.  Secondly, her sister, Jackie did not graduate from N.N.H.S. as her mother died when she was twelve years old and she went to live with her sister Beverly and her husband in Buckingham County, VA.  I presume she graduated there.  I understand that both of these ladies are living and well. 

My first cousins are their first fact, my cousin Annie Laurie Coleman Soltys passed away yesterday......she graduated from N.N.H.S. in 1951.  I had to speak to Annie Laurie's sister Virginia Coleman Abbott today as well as their cousin Shirley Coleman Schult.....hence, I asked them about these two sisters......they have phone numbers and an address if there is a need.  They did not seem to recognize the name Sam Coleman; however, that does not mean too much as they, as I, have so many relatives.  I just notified Carol of the death of Annie Laurie Coleman Soltys, '51.  She was one of 7 children. 

Let me know if you need more.
Take care, Dave and Carol,

Fred Mays of Newport News, VA

   Thanks so much, Gentlemen!

   My condolences on the death of your cousin, Fred.   I have a Coleman line myself, but it's so very far back in time, it's hardly germane to the issue.....

       From My Daughter, Adrienne Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL / American School, IL - of NC) - currently serving an eighteen-month mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Seattle, Washington - 11/15/11 - "week...whatever it is...":

So we had an interesting Halloween here...lots of candy from members. Good stuff!  I did have an ear infection - it's cleared up now thanks to antibiotics.  I also have been having far fewer asthma attacks because I remembered that I have nose sprays for allergies.  So, instead of having two to four asthma attacks every day (I was even awakened several times because of it), I've gone to having one asthma attack every now and again. Much better, no?
Oh, our main investigator - we have been doing several lessons a week with him.  And he gave his Spanish Book of Mormon to his mom without us recommending it!  AND he went on a church tour with us... AND he went to a church activity... AND at the Church tour he read the sacrament prayer and I felt overcome with the Spirit that he would pass the sacrament one day!  IT WAS AWESOME! 
On a bummer note though - my trainer Sister Kim finished her mission and headed back home to Korea today (our last goodbye was yesterday since she spent the night in the mission home).  On the bright side though - Sister Hirano (one of my companions from the Missionary Training Center) is now in our current companionship with Sister Keller and me.  I have yet to have a normal two person companionship, but I just love having a trio!
Before Sister Kim left I felt that we should get in contact with a former investigator.  This former (I'm deliberately not calling them by their names, btw) was still interested in getting baptized, but her brother (with whom she lives) warned her that if she did he would kick her out.  Anyway, I called her and she was so happy to hear from us and said that she would love to attend sacrament again because she had been thinking of it a lot lately!  HOW INCREDIBLE is that! Plus Sister Kim got to say goodbye to her before she left! 
Anyway, all is well!  I love y'all!
Sister Harty

   How fabulous! I'm so relieved to hear that your asthma is more under control!  Glad you had a great week, too!      Love you, Sister Webby!

      From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 11/15/11 - "HAIRBRUSH EXPERIENCE OF BETH MOORE AT THE AIRPORT":

This is an amazing story.  It's a little long but really worth reading. You will be blessed as each of you are a blessing.....especially to me :)  read all the way; God has a message for you at the end of this e-mail.

A beautiful story. Please take time to read it!


For those of you who do not know Beth Moore, she is an outstanding Bible teacher, writer of Bible studies, and is a married mother of two daughters. This is one of her experiences: April 20, 2005, at the Airport in Knoxville , waiting to board the plane, I had the Bible on my lap and was very intent upon what I was doing. I'd had a marvelous morning with the Lord. I say this because I want to tell you it is a scary thing to have the Spirit of God really working in you. You could end up doing some things you never would have done otherwise. Life in the Spirit can be dangerous for a thousand reasons, not the least of which is your ego. I tried to keep from staring, but he was such a strange sight. Humped over in a wheelchair, he was skin and bones, dressed in clothes that obviously fit when he was at least twenty pounds heavier. His knees protruded from his trousers, and his shoulders looked like the coat hanger was still in his shirt.. His hands looked like tangled masses of veins and bones.

The strangest part of him was his hair and nails. Stringy, gray hair hung well over his shoulders and down part of his back. His fingernails were long, clean but strangely out of place on an old man. I looked down at my Bible as fast as I could, discomfort burning my face. As I tried to imagine what his story might have been, I found myself wondering if I'd just had a Howard Hughes sighting. Then, I remembered that he was dead. So this man in the airport... An impersonator maybe? Was a camera on us somewhere? There I sat; trying to concentrate on the Word to keep from being concerned about a thin slice of humanity served up on a wheelchair only a few seats from me. All the while, my heart was growing more and more overwhelmed with a feeling for him. Let's admit it. Curiosity is a heap more comfortable than true concern, and suddenly I was awash with aching emotion for this bizarre-looking old man.. I had walked with God long enough to see the handwriting on the wall. I've learned that when I begin to feel what God feels, something so contrary to my natural feelings, something dramatic is bound to happen. And it may be embarrassing. I immediately began to resist because I could feel God working on my spirit and I started arguing with God in my mind. 'Oh, no, God, please, no.' I looked up at the ceiling as if I could stare straight through it into heaven and said, 'Don't make me witness to this man. Not right here and now. Please. I'll do anything. Put me on the same plane, but don't make me get up here and witness to this man in front of this gawking audience. Please, Lord!' There I sat in the blue vinyl chair begging His Highness, 'Please don't make me witness to this man. Not now. I'll do it on the plane.'

Then I heard it...'I don't want you to witness to him I want you to brush his hair.' The words were so clear, my heart leapt into my throat, and my thoughts spun like a top. Do I witness to the man or brush his hair? No-brainer. I looked straight back up at the ceiling and said, 'God, as I live and breathe, I want you to know I am ready to witness to this man. I'm on this Lord. I'm your girl! You've never seen a woman witness to a man faster in your life. What difference does it make if his hair is a mess if he is not redeemed? I am going to witness to this man.'

Again, as clearly as I've ever heard an audible word, God seemed to write this statement across the wall of my mind. 'That is not what I said, Beth. I don't want you to witness to him. I want you to go brush his hair.'

I looked up at God and quipped, 'I don't have a hairbrush. It's in my suitcase on the plane. How am I supposed to brush his hair without a hairbrush?'

God was so insistent that I almost involuntarily began to walk toward him as these thoughts came to me from God's word: 'I will thoroughly furnish you unto all good works.' (2 Timothy 3:17) I stumbled over to the wheelchair thinking I could use one myself.

Even as I retell this story, my pulse quickens and I feel those same butterflies. I knelt down in front of the man and asked as demurely as possible, 'Sir, may I have the pleasure of brushing your hair?'

He looked back at me and said, 'What did you say?'

'May I have the pleasure of brushing your hair?'

To which he responded in volume ten, 'Little lady, if you expect me to hear you, you're going to have to talk louder than that.'

At this point, I took a deep breath and blurted out, 'SIR, MAY I HAVE THE PLEASURE OF BRUSHING YOUR HAIR?'

At which point every eye in the place darted right at me. I was the only thing in the room looking more peculiar than old Mr. Long Locks. Face crimson and forehead breaking out in a sweat, I watched him look up at me with absolute shock on his face, and say, 'If you really want to.'

Are you kidding? Of course I didn't want to. But God didn't seem interested in my personal preference right about then. He pressed on my heart until I could utter the words, 'Yes, sir, I would be pleased. But I have one little problem. I don't have a hairbrush.'

'I have one in my bag,' he responded.

I went around to the back of that wheelchair, and I got on my hands and knees and unzipped the stranger's old carry-on, hardly believing what I was doing. I stood up and started brushing the old man's hair. It was perfectly clean, but it was tangled and matted. I don't do many things well, but must admit I've had notable experience untangling knotted hair mothering two little girls. Like I'd done with either Amanda or Melissa in such a condition, I began brushing at the very bottom of the strands, remembering to take my time not to pull.

A miraculous thing happened to me as I started brushing that old man's hair. Everybody else in the room disappeared. There was no one alive for those moments except that old man and me. I brushed and I brushed and I brushed until every tangle was out of that hair I know this sounds so strange, but I've never felt that kind of love for another soul in my entire life. I believe with all my heart, I - for that few minutes - felt a portion of the very love of God. That He had overtaken my heart for a little while like someone renting a room and making Himself at home for a short while. The emotions were so strong and so pure that I knew they had to be God's. His hair was finally as soft and smooth as an infant's. I slipped the brush back in the bag and went around the chair to face him.. I got back down on my knees, put my hands on his knee and said, 'Sir, do you know my Jesus?'

He said, 'Yes, I do.'

'Well, that figures,' I thought.

He explained, 'I've known Him since I married my bride. She wouldn't marry me until I got to know the Savior.' He said, 'You see, the problem is, I haven't seen my bride in months. I've had open-heart surgery, and she's been too ill to come see me. I was sitting here thinking to myself, what a mess I must be for my bride.'

Only God knows how often He allows us to be part of a divine moment when we're completely unaware of the significance. This, on the other hand, was one of those rare encounters when I knew God had intervened in details only He could have known. It was a God moment, and I'll never forget it.

Our time came to board, and we were not on the same plane. I was deeply ashamed of how I'd acted earlier and would have been so proud to have accompanied him on that aircraft. I still had a few minutes, and as I gathered my things to board, the airline hostess returned from the corridor, tears streaming down her cheeks. She said, 'That old man's sitting on the plane, sobbing. Why did you do that? What made you do that?'

I said, 'Do you know Jesus? He can be the bossiest thing!'

And we got to share. I learned something about God that day. He knows if you're exhausted, you're hungry, you're serving in the wrong place or it is time to move on but you feel too responsible to budge. He knows if you're hurting or feeling rejected. He knows if you're sick or drowning under a wave of temptation. Or He knows if you just need your hair brushed. He sees you as an individual. Tell Him your need! I got on my own flight, sobs choking my throat, wondering how many opportunities just like that one had I missed along the way... all because I didn't want people to think I was strange. God didn't send me to that old man. He sent that old man to me. Please share this wonderful story.

Would you brush this old man's hair, would you be a witness for GOD? Thanks about it or do you have to think about it? Are you ready for the blessing GOD has for you today for just brushing someone's hair?

     Thank you so much, Dools!

  From Gene Shelton ('64) of VA - 11/16/11, 10:27 PM - "Marshall Hickman": 


I know you are very busy with everyone's questions and requests.  My stepmother, Marshall Hickman, told my brother and me that she graduated from NNHS in '39 which would have meant she graduated with Beverly Coleman. Do you have any info. on a Marshall Hickman?  There is no rush.  Marshall died in 2007 and is buried in Trinity Memorial Gardens in Newport News.  She was 87 when she died.  


   Thanks, Gene! I'm sure everyone thinks I've been goofing off royally this week - and there is a certain amount of truth to that, but I've had a horrible headache which wouldn't go away. Even if I can think straight (which this week I could not), I've learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut and my fingers still during those moments.....

   Marshall probably graduated in June of '39. As     Fred Field (June '45) of CA told us back on 02/10/09 - "The 1948 Anchor was the first to cover both the Feb. and June graduates in a single issue..... the '42 Beacon "Annual" - the last one published with that name.  The June '42 was the first to be call Anchor."

   I only have the February '39 Beacon yearbook, and she's not pictured with that class - sorry!

   By the way, I don't know whether she would have been in the February or June Class, but had her family not moved away, the lovely and talented     Ava Gardner (24 Dec 1922 - 25 Jan 1990) would have graduated from NNHS in 1939, too!


"...When Gardner was 13 years old, the family decided to try their luck in a larger city, Newport News, Virginia, where Mollie Gardner found work managing a boardinghouse for the city's many shipworkers. While in Newport News, Gardner's father became ill and died from bronchitis in 1938, when Ava was 15 years old. After Jonas Gardner's death, the family moved to Rock Ridge near Wilson, North Carolina, where Mollie Gardner ran another boarding house for teachers. Ava Gardner attended high school in Rock Ridge and she graduated from there in 1939. She then attended secretarial classes at Atlantic Christian College in Wilson for about a year...."

      From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 11/16/11 - "Flight of Old 666":

If I'm not sadly mistaken, B-17's were made at the Bell Bomber Plant in Marietta, Georgia - soon to become The Lockheed Georgia Company, with a little help from Georgia Senator, Richard B. Russell !!!

So long ago.... It is up to us to remind the Americans coming now to maturity, of this great bravery by these great guys....

Heroism at it's best!

   WOWZERONI-RINI! Thank you, Dools!

  From Norris Perry (Warwick HS - '59) of VA - 11/16/11 - "THIS IS FUNNNNNY":

Anybody who enjoys cats will like this video!


Read the story below before you watch the video...
True Story

Jennifer and Jim kept getting huge water bills. They knew beyond a doubt that the bills weren't representative of their actual usage, and no matter how they tried to conserve, the high bills continue. Although they could see nothing wrong, they had everything checked for leaks or problems; first the water meter, then outdoor pipes, indoor pipes, underground pipes, faucets, toilets, washer, ice maker, etc., all to no avail.

One day Jim was sick and stayed home in bed, but kept hearing water running downstairs. He finally got up from his sick bed and went to investigate, and stumbled onto the cause of such high water bills. Apparently this was happening all day long when they were not at home. Knowing that few would believe him he taped a segment of the "problem", for posterity!

Now... watch the video

     Thanks, Norris Sweetie!

      From My Husband, Paul Harty (Bardolph HS, IL - '61) of NC - 11/15/11 - "Piano Solo":

Sounds a bit like some of the new groups on TV who think they can sing!

Piano Solo

Imagine, you are a singer and you accompany yourself on the piano. You have a small dog who is your constant companion and watches as you rehearse. Got the picture? Now, imagine that you must be away for a few hours and leave the dog alone at home. Here is what happened while you were away.

       Thanks again, Dools!

From - 11/15/11 - "Do you have bad headaches? Read this!":

Dear FlyLady,

I want to send a special thank you for an email you sent out during the summer. I have suffered from horrible migraines my entire life. I have been on different medicines trying to find one that worked with the least amount of side effects. My darling little boy (now 8 years old) has grown up having to hear that I couldn't play with him because "Mommy has a headache."

I had recently gone to see the doctor again in desperation as my headaches were increasing and he was about to switch me to yet another medicine when I finally had had enough. There had to be a better way. Cat scans and MRIs had proven that there was nothing truly "wrong" with my brain. So there had to be some other cause. I knew my mom had them her entire life, and I had watched her suffering grow. I didn't want to go down that pain-filled limiting road myself. That evening I came home and was once again researching suspected causes/triggers when I found an article on linking gluten to migraines. I set out to try and figure out how to eat gluten free. And low and behold I had an email from you waiting for me in my inbox at work the next morning mentioning in passing how grains and gluten are poisoning us. Talk about a God breeze moment!

Following the link in your email and successive links from there, I spent 30 days researching and reading everything I could get my hands on this Paleo/Primal way of eating. I decided to try Robb Wolf's 30 day trial and haven't looked back since. I stopped having headaches 2 weeks into the trial and still haven't had one now 5 months later.

In addition to the losing the headaches that have been the bane of my existence, I have dropped close to 30 pounds, cured the eczema on my back, the bursitis in my knee, and fixed the annoying digestive issues I thought were "normal." This has truly been a life changing experience. And I thank you for it.

In case there are any other Flybabies that might be interested in this way of eating I am including websites that I especially found useful when making the switch.

Jimmy Moore at
Robb Wolf at
Sarah Fargoso at
Loren Cordain at
Mark Sissen at
Chris Kresser at

My husband, who is permanently disabled, is now 15 days into this way of eating and just beginning to see results. He is following the auto-immune protocol to help with the pain from his nerve damage and osteoarthritis.

I just wanted to say thank you for giving me back my life.


FlyLady here: I found the email she was talking about. Here it is.
Dear Friends,

Most of you know that over the last two and a half months that, Leanne, Paddi, Pam and I have been low-carbing. We have been enjoying the process of learning about our bodies and how they work. Our journey started several years ago when Leanne and I wrote our book, Body Clutter.

Leanne put me on a low carb meal plan. She actually put together her book Saving Dinner; Low Carb for me.

In April Leanne introduced me to a great book by Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat and What to do about it. I could not put it down. I actually listened to it three times.

We started searching for anything we could find on Gary Taubes and living a low-carb life style. This lead us to Jimmy Moore and his podcasts. He has interviewed many wonderful people who have been on this same journey. He has a great book too. 21 Life Lessons; you can get it on his website or Amazon.

It was on his podcasts where we heard about Dr. Ann Childers. She has become Pam's doctor in Portland.

Our journey is just beginning. I have lost thirty pounds. The best part is that I have no desire to each carbs. I think I have gotten over my addiction to carbs. I am loving my new way of eating. I am never hungry. I actually had to thank Marc Sotkin for telling me I would not stick to my new low-carb lifestyle. I was bound and determined to prove him wrong. Isn't that just like a SHE!

Come join us as we learn and lose at the same time. I can't believe how easy this is for me now that I have had a change in attitude. For me Carbs are poison! I see them as rat poison and I have no desire to slowly kill myself.

Are you ready to take control of your body? Knowledge is power!



From - 11/16/11:

So there's this man with a parrot. And his parrot swears like a sailor, I mean he's a pistol. He can swear for five minutes straight without repeating himself.

The trouble is that the guy who owns the parrot is a quiet, conservative type, and this bird's foul mouth is driving him crazy.

One day, it gets to be too much, so the guy grabs the bird by the throat, shakes him really hard, and yells, "QUIT IT!" But this just makes the bird mad and he swears more than ever.

Then the guy gets mad and says, "That's it. I'll get you." and locks the bird in a kitchen cabinet.

This really aggravates the bird and he claws and scratches, and when the guy finally lets him out, the bird cuts loose with a stream of invective that would make a veteran sailor blush.

At that point, the guy is so mad that he throws the bird into the freezer.

For the first few seconds, there is a terrible din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes. Then it suddenly goes very quiet.

At first the guy just waits, but then he starts to think that the bird may be hurt. After a couple of minutes of silence, he's so worried that he opens up the freezer door.

The bird calmly climbs onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now on."

The man is astounded. He can't understand the transformation that has come over the parrot.

Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the chicken do?" 


1. Thursday, December 1, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have friends in that year, go visit with them.

2. Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.

3. Saturday, January 7, 2012 - 11:00 AM - The NNHS Breakfast Bunch will host a Breakfast Bunch Brunch at the Warwick Restaurant, 12306 Warwick Boulevard, (across from CNU) Newport News, Virginia 23606. "Please come join them for a Dutch Treat Brunch featuring a lot of 'War Stories' and maybe a lie or two. Everyone is welcome so bring your wife, husband, boy friend, girl friend, class mate, school friend or whomever you choose." Please RSVP to Bill Roady at or call him at 757-595-0716 so they have a head count.

PRAYER ROLL: - updated 10/22/11

BLOG: - updated 03/13/11

Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309


1. Visit the main page (, scroll halfway down, and click on the Pay Pal Donate Button (;

2. Go to, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to; or

3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!    

I Say a Little Prayer

Written by Burt Bacharach (b. 12 May 1928) and Hal David (b. 25 May 1921)
for Dionne Warwick (b. 12 Dec 1940),

The moment I wake up
Before I put on my makeup
I say a little prayer for you
While combing my hair now
And wondering what dress to wear now
I say a little prayer for you

Forever and ever
You'll stay in my heart
And I will love you
Forever and ever
We never will part
Oh how I'll love you
Together, forever
That's how it will be
To live without you
Would only mean heartbreak for me

I run for the bus dear
While riding it I think of us dear
I say a little prayer for you
At work I just take time
And all through my coffee break time
I say a little prayer for you

Forever and ever
You'll stay in my heart
And I will love you
Forever and ever
We never will part
Oh how I'll love you
Together, forever
That's how it will be
To live without you
Would only mean heartbreak for me

My darling believe me
For me there is no one
But you
Please love me too
I'm in love with you
Answer my prayer

Forever and ever
You'll stay in my heart
And I will love you
Forever and ever
We never will part
Oh how I'll love you
Together, forever
That's how it will be
To live without you
Would only mean heartbreak for me

"I Say a Little Prayer" midi courtesy of - 11/16/07

"I Say a Little Prayer" lyrics courtesy of - 11/16/07

Image of Woman Praying courtesy of - 11/17/07

Image of Woman Applying Makeup courtesy of - 11/17/07

Pastel Divider Lines clip art courtesy of - 05/24/06

Animated "NEW" clip art courtesy of - 03/07/06

Animated Silly Bear (designed by AF Artist - Ryan Hagen) courtesy of - 10/04/05

Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!

Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still missing...)
Thanks, Al!
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Thanks, Norm!

Ferguson High School's Anchor clip art courtesy of Steve Silsby (FHS - '72) of NC - 12/14/05
Thanks, Steve!

Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of - 06/07/08
Thanks, Mark!

American School Logo courtesy of - 09/05/06

Animated Big Hugs Smiley clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 06/19/09
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!

Navy Seal clip art courtesy of - 05/29/06

Animated BOO-HOO courtesy of Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 08/28/09
Thanks, Glenn!

Animated Laughing Kitty courtesy of Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 06/03/06
Thanks, Tom!

Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2011

Return to NNHS Class of 1965