07/19/08 - NNHS Newsletter
“I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the
“I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the
Dear Friends and Schoolmates,
Today's Newsletter theme comes to us once more via suggestion from one of my favorite people:
From My #5 Son, Nathaniel Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL - '97) of IL - 06/18/08 - "Newsletter stuff":
For music with summer in the
Summer Song - Joe Satriani's instrumental guitar track which is often used at sporting events and for commercials. Here is the video for it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdnKydffZQ - Summer Song (Joe Satriani)
Thanks so much, Faniel!
Happy Birthday this week to:
26 - My Sister, Eleanor Buckley Nowitzky ('59) of NC!
Many Happy Returns, One and All!
From Renee Helterbran Benton ('59) of VA - 07/18/08 - "Note to Norm Covert":
YOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks, Renee! (Oh, I just made a rhyme!)
I knew when I began that Prayer Roll a few months ago I was painting myself into a corner because of the glaring omissions which would inevitably follow - the same way I did when I began adding the military emblems - but I still felt it worth the risk. I've forwarded your note to Norm, and added your dear husband's name to the top of that list now. Please give him all our love - and I LOVE your approach to the holidays! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
From Gloria Woolard Price (Hampton HS - '65) of FL - 07/17/08 - "Woolworth's 1950's Sandwich Menu":
I don't know if you have this on
any of the sites.......but what a great memory of the good old days!
WOWZERONI-RINI!!! Thanks so much, Gloria! I delightedly posted it here:
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 07/17/08:
Thank you, Major Madagan!
From My #2 Son, Brent Harty (Hillsboro HS, IL - '90) of OH - 07/18/08:
Again, my regards to Joe M. I appreciate the kind words and look forward to doing my absolute best to excel. It is time to let it all hang out. I hope I have time to shave twice daily. I didn't think my beard was that dark, but I guess it is...he would know!
Thanks, Brent! Did I mention I'm enormously proud of you?!?
From Liz Breeden ('61) of VA- 07/17/08 - "Seniors":
Oh, I really LOVE this, Liz - ALL of it! Thanks so much!!!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 07/18/08 - "The New Dollar":
Given what's happening with the economy these days, the Treasury department
has issued a new dollar bill:
From Frances Goodson Wang ('65) of MD - 07/18/08 - "Wonderful video - Christian the lIon":
This video literally brought tears to my eyes! It is really sweet; do watch it and appreciate again the great hearts that animals have!
Thanks, Frances! This is the video that Pam Larmer Traugott ('62) of VA sent us just the other day, but it's so very moving, I'll run it again for the benefit of any who may have missed it!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 07/18/08 - "As I've Matured":
So beautiful, so touching, yet somehow......
Thanks so much, Joyce!
From Joe Madagan ('57) of FL - 07/18/08:
Thank you so very much, Major Madagan!
From Joyce Lawrence Cahoon ('65) of VA - 07/18/08 - "THIS WILL BRIGHTEN YOUR DAY":
Thanks again, Joyce!
From Jimmy Smith ('62) of VA - 07/19/08 - "NO E-MAIL":
I WAS WONDERING WHY I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY E-MAIL FROM YOU. I HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANYTHING SINCE I WENT BACK INTO THE HOSPITAL TUESDAY. I REALLY MISS THE NEWS.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Well, Jimmy, dat jus' don' make no sense (English major, ya know)! Come to think of it, very little lately has made any sense at all, so I shouldn't be surprised.... BUT I checked my listings to make sure I didn't do anything goofy to them (not that I ever do anything goofy, and your name and addy are still safely there, so I assume Juno must be blocking my missives again - yeah, like THIS:
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550
Come to think of it, yesterday's announcement had about twice as many reject notices as usual. Hmmmm.....
Okay, two rules for eva'body:
1. If you haven't received a notification for a day or two, check the Newsletter page; they're ALWAYS posted there. You need never miss the news just because there may be some problem with emailed announcements:
Bookmark that page, if you'd like.
2. If you see an obituary and I haven't finished a Memorial Edition (or at least posted an "IN PROCESS" note and a link to the obituary) by 10:00 AM, I have missed it completely, so please notify me immediately.
Hey - wait a minute! Whachu mean, "WENT BACK INTO THE HOSPITAL"?!? Okay, back onto the Prayer Roll you go! I hope you're feeling much better by now!
PRAYER ROLL (arranged alphabetically, but not necessarily complete):
1. Julius Benton ('58) of VA - diagnosed years ago with Pick's Disease; update of 07/18/08 - SEE ABOVE
2. Connie Bloxom Thompson ('66) of MD - multiple heath and financial issues; needing cataract surgery to prevent inevitable blindness ASAP;update of 03/11/08: "SO FAR, 1/2 FUNDS FOR 1 EYE PROCEDURE"; update of 03/28/08: re-hospitalized; $1475.00 received so far; still short of $2000.00 goal; update of 04/28/08 - SEE: 04/28/08; update of 06/23/08 - surgery on right eye - 07/01/08; surgery on left eye to follow several weeks later as financial goals are met
Connie Bloxom ThompsonD 21015
3. Betty Brockwell McClure ('58) of VA - broken hip - early this year; still recovering and in pain;update of 06/17/08 - SEE: 06/18/08
4.Clyde Bryant ('58) of PA - heart replacement surgery - 12/13/07
5. Emily (daughter of My Niece Shari) of VA - advancing scoliosis; surgery 03/11/08; update of 03/12/08: surgery went well, running slight fever; update of 03/18/08: had some ups and lows, but is home again; update of 04/14/08 - still in pain, running a fever; update of 04/18/08 - SEE: 04/18/08; update of 05/05/08 - "finally getting better. Her hamstring stretching is painful, but making a big difference. She has years of physical therapy ahead of her, but is doing soo much better"; update of 05/13/08 - has had a setback; going to see the surgeon in Richmond on 05/15/08; update of 06/15/08 - SEE: 06/17/08
6. My Niece, Shari, of VA - hospitalized 07/19/08
7. Jimmy DeBerry ('64) of VA - stroke on 06/17/08; update of 06/25/08 - SEE: 06/26/08; update of 07/02/08 - SEE: 07/03/08
8. Jamey Douglas Bacon ('66) of VA - knee surgery with complications on 07/01/08 - update of 07/10/08 - SEE: 07/12/08
9. My second granddaughter,Rachel Harty of IL - broke her ankle/leg in 3 places on 05/17/08; clean breaks, no surgery required, but located in a tricky place for a growing girl, so proper healing is essential; update of 05/30/08 - "healing nicely. They put her in a cast below the knee. She still can't put any weight on it for 2 more weeks. Then she will be in a walking cast for 3 weeks after that"; update of 06/14/08 - Her leg is healing much faster than the doctor had expected. She is in a waterproof walking cast now for 3 weeks, then this cast will come off and she will have physical therapy; update of 07/06/08: SEE: 07/07/08
10. Bitsy Heath ('57) of VA - 07/02/08 - abdominal aneurysm requiring surgery; also having other issues with breathing and pulmonary output; SEE: 07/03/08
12. Bobby Hedrick ('58) of VA - recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer; update of 03/22/08: "doing very well, no pain, just some soreness"; update of 05/10/08: "continues to do well since the surgery for pancreatic cancer and will now begin the follow-up treatment to be decided upon following the consultation and evaluation at MD Anderson (Houston).
13.Pam Pennington Cherry ('58) of VA - congestive heart failure; cardiac ablation procedure - 02/06/08; second surgery on 02/20/08 for aneurysm; update of 03/17/08 - still experiencing difficulty with heart racing, breathing and pressure in her chest; pray that cardiac ablation procedure will not have to be repeated, and that Pam can learn to REST!; update of 05/04/08 - "in about eight months she will indeed have to have the ablation process repeated. "
14. Tommy Scott ('61) of VA - update of 04/14/08 - "at home recuperating"; update of 05/22/08 - "still at home recuperating"; update of 06/09/08 - "still at home recovering. I am sure they would love receiving cards/notes from NNHS friends."
16.Jenny Willett Wilson (daughter of the late Edie Hallett Willett - '63) of VA - 05/05/08 - "underwent a double mastectomy in 2007, has just completed vigorous chemo and is now undergoing radiation treatments every day for seven weeks"
17. Jim Wilson ('58) of VA recovering from prostate surgery on 06/02/08
18. All of Us
DATES TO REMEMBER:
1. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, September 26 - 28, 2008 -NNHS CLASS OF 1968:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1968.html - 03/31/08
2. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, October 17 - 19, 2008- NNHS CLASS OF 1963:
http://www.nnhs65.00freehost.com/reunion-class-of-1963.html - 03/26/08
We'll all be running up somewhere halfway between here and Ohio tomorrow afternoon to see our seven darlings before they leave for their various destinations. We don't really like to travel on the Sabbath Day, but given the mere nine days of notice they had and commitments we'd all made previously, it was our only option.
Y'all take care of each other! TYPHOONS FOREVER! We'll Always Have Buckroe!
Love to all, Carol
NNHS CLASS OF '65 WEB SITE:
PERSONAL WEB SITE: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/cluckmeat
219 Four Ply Lane
Fayetteville, NC 29311-9305
To donate, click on the gold seal on the left,
or just mail it to my home. Thanks!
Written by Joe Satriani
Joe Satriani's "Summer Song" midi courtesy of http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/redriver/825/rock.htm - 07/19/08
Image of Koith Morant's (of New Zealand) Painting, "Summer Song", courtesy of http://www.ianpatrickfineart.com/KiethMorant.html - 07/19/08
Hillsboro High School's Topper (Band Version) clip art courtesy of
Animated Fiery Divider Line clip art courtesy of http://www.worldfiredepartments.com/animations/lines.htm - 07/06/04
Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Brighton High School (UT) Logo courtesy of http://www.jordandistrict.org/schools/high/brighton/index.htm - 08/02/07
Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al
Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06
Hampton High School's Crab clip art courtesy of http://www.geocities.com/agent99bm/ - 10/02/05
Marine Corps Seal clip art courtesy of the late
Herbert Hice of MI - one of my
Famous Marines who served in the South Pacific during WWII.
Thanks again, Herbie!
Crying Baby clip art courtesy of http://www.barbspics.com/baby/babypage06index.html - 09/28/05
Navy Seal clip art courtesy of http://www.onemileup.com/miniSeals.asp - 05/29/06
Animated Laughing Jerry courtesy of Cookie Phillips
Tyndall ('64) of VA - 06/14/06
Animated Laughter clip art courtesy of Janice McCain Rose ('65) of VA - 01/24/06
Animated Wildly Laughing Dog courtesy of Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL -
Animated Silly Bear (designed by AF Artist - Ryan Hagen) courtesy of http://www.animationfactory.com - 10/04/05
Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2008
Return to NNHS Class of 1965