lucky you - your browser doesnt play annoying midis

Provide free mammograms!
06/19/11 - NNHS Newsletter - Happy Father's Day!

Sherman made the terrible discovery that men make about their fathers sooner
or later... that the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much
like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could,
out of a sense of duty and, perhaps love, adopted a role called Being a Father so that
his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector,
who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life.

- Tom Wolfe
(b. 02 Mar 1931 - Richmond, VA)

Dear Friends and Schoolmates,   

   A very Happy Father's Day to all the daddies and granddaddies in our midst - and indeed to us all, as we remember our own fathers!

 BONUS - - My Father's Eyes - Eric Clapton


"My Father's Eyes" is a song written and performed by Eric Clapton and produced by Clapton himself and Simon Climie. It was released as a single in 1998 and was featured on the album Pilgrim. The song reached the top 40 and won a Grammy award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. The song is inspired by the fact that Clapton never met his father, who died in 1985. It also refers to the brief life of Clapton's son Conor, who died at age four after falling from an apartment window. "In it I tried to describe the parallel between looking the eyes of my son, and the eyes of the father that I never met, through the chain of our blood", said Clapton in his autobiography. He retired the song in 2004, along with Tears in Heaven. It describes how Clapton wishes he knew his father.

Clapton performed this track for the first time in 1992 and 1996 in both electric and unplugged versions, which were completely different from the original 1998 release...



Father's Day in the United States is on the third Sunday of June. It celebrates the contribution that fathers and father figures make for their children's lives. Its origins may lie in a memorial service held for a large group of men, many of them fathers, who were killed in a mining accident in Monongah, West Virginia in 1907.

What do people do?
Father's Day is an occasion to mark and celebrate the contribution that your own father has made to your life. Many people send or give cards or gifts to their fathers. Common Father's Day gifts include sports items or clothing, electronic gadgets, outdoor cooking supplies and tools for household maintenance. Father's Day is a relatively modern holiday so different families have a range of traditions. These can range from a simple phone call or greetings card to large parties honoring all of the 'father' figures in a particular extended family. Father figures can include fathers, step-fathers, fathers-in-law, grandfathers and great-grandfathers and even other male relatives. In the days and weeks before Father's Day, many schools and Sunday schools help their pupils to prepare a handmade card or small gift for their fathers.

Public life
Father's Day is not a federal holiday. Organizations, businesses and stores are open or closed, just as they are on any other Sunday in the year. Public transit systems run to their normal Sunday schedules. Restaurants may be busier than usual, as some people take their fathers out for a treat.

Background and symbols
There are a range of events, which may have inspired the idea of Father's Day. One of these was the start of the Mother's Day tradition in the first decade of the 20th century. Another was a memorial service held in 1908 for a large group of men, many of them fathers, who were killed in a mining accident in Monongah, West Virginia in December 1907. A woman called Sonora Smart Dodd was an influential figure in the establishment of Father's Day. Her father raised six children by himself after the death of their mother. This was uncommon at that time, as many widowers placed their children in the care of others or quickly married again.

Sonora was inspired by the work of Anna Jarvis, who had pushed for Mother's Day celebrations. Sonora felt that her father deserved recognition for what he had done. The first time Father's Day was held in June was in 1910. Father's Day was officially recognized as a holiday in 1972 by President Nixon.


   Happy Birthday today to Jill Douglas Schumacher ('57) and Doris Landon Lewis ('57)!

  Happy Birthday tomorrow to   Barbara Houston ('68) of Northern VA!

   Happy Birthday this week to:

21 - Ralph Goldstein ('57) AND    Kelly Loose Bustamante ('58) of VA AND   Terry Haney ('66) of VA!

22 -     Jim Cobb ('66) of VA;

24 -      My Cousin, Jean Atkinson Mallory (Warsaw HS / Rappahannock HS / John Marshall HS - '65) of VA;

25 - David Lundquist ('57) AND     Glenn Dye ('60) of TX AND      Jean Poole Burton ('64) of RI;

26 -  Fred Eubank ('64) of TX!

   Many Happy Returns, One and All!


Tuesday, June 17, 1862

Gen John Pope was ordered to head East today to command a new entity called the Army of Virginia. This was a consolidation of the armies of Fremont and Banks. Gen. Fremont was so vexed at having to serve under Pope that he resigned. His replacement was Maj. Gen. Franz Sigel, who was not, alas, a great commander either. He was, however, utterly beloved by the German immigrants who made up such a large part of the Union armies. Elsewhere, Braxton Bragg was named to command the Confederate forces previously under Beauregard, who was ill.

Friday, June 17, 1864

After three days of heavy fighting, some of the surprise factor was wearing off the Union army's attempt to capture Petersburg. Robert E. Lee was at last convinced that Grant was attacking there instead of Richmond, and sent the rest of the Army of Northern Virginia to its defense. The command of the Second Corps went to David Birney after Hancock was incapacitated by a reopening of the wound he had received a year earlier at Gettysburg. The attacks failed anyway.


Tuesday, June 18, 1861

Col. James W. Ripley, believe it or not, was the man in charge of munitions production for the United States. Unfortunately several of his better manufacturing plants were captured, and the machinery relocated, by the Confederates in these early days of the war. (The plant at Harpers Ferry was shipped to North Carolina in its entirety.) Since demand was sky-high to supply all the incoming recruits, Col. Ripley was driven to place huge orders for guns with private manufacturers. The Colt, Remington, and other companies profited thereby.

Wednesday, June 18, 1862

The Cumberland Gap was an odd geographical feature in more ways than one. Famous since the days of Davy Crockett, and a vital pass through the Cumberland Mountains, it was fought over repeatedly. Today it was in the hands of the Union, taken by Gen. George W. Morgan and company. Another oddity of the area was political: the Gap was close to the parts of eastern Tennessee and Kentucky, and western Carolina and Georgia, where sentiment was strongly pro-Union despite being in the heart of the South.

Saturday, June 18, 1864

U.S. Grant was nothing if not realistic, and he conceded today that he was not going to take Petersburg, Va. by direct assault. Not after Robert E. Lee had moved the entire Army of Northern Virginia in to defensive positions, he wasn’t. Therefore he settled into siege. The Union controlled two-fifths of the railroad lines and several roads. He concentrated his efforts on gaining possession of the remainder of the transport system and cutting off the flow of supplies.


Wednesday, June 19, 1861

All the border states had problems with sections of their territory which felt more closely aligned with the opposing side. In the case of Virginia the mountainous parts of the state, closest to Ohio, were strongly pro-Union and resolved to do something about it. Today Francis H. Pierpont was named “provisional governor of Federal Virginia.” A lawyer who had made a fortune in the railroad business, he had never before held public office. The territory was later admitted to the Union as West Virginia.

Thursday, June 19, 1862

Every war produces an arms race, and the American Civil War, coming as it did at a time of technological advancement anyway, was no exception. One such new nastiness was put to work in the James River today. Commander Maury of the Confederate States Navy was in charge of placing “electric mines” near Chaffin’s Bluff to deter Union ships. Explosive charges were to propel pieces of boiler plate through a watertight wooden barrel. The batteries that powered the detonators were borrowed from the University of Virginia.


1.   From Dee Hodges Bartram ('66) of VA - 05/08/11 - "OPEN REUNION SPONSORED BY THE CLASS OF 1966":


A Happy, Happy Mother’s Day to you!! I hope you have a glorious day!

The 45-year reunion plans for the Class of 1966 has been finalized. I would appreciate it if you would put this reunion notice in your newsletter for me.

Thank you so much for all you do!

Dee Hodges Bartram

Dear Classmates,                                                                                                             

The Class of 1966 will hold an OPEN 45 year reunion on Friday and Saturday, August 19 and 20, 2011.  Here is the schedule:

Friday night – 7:00 p.m. until closing - RJ’s Restaurant and Pub located at 12743 Jefferson Avenue (Denbigh Crossing Shopping Center), Newport News, VA.  The owner, Ron Johnson, is a Typhoon alumnus. Each person attending on Friday night is responsible for the cost of their dinner, drinks or snacks. 

Saturday night:  Warwick Yacht Club, located at 400 Maxwell Lane, Newport News, from 7:00 p.m. till midnight.  We will have light Hors D’oeuvres and a cash bar.  Dress Code:  Dressy Casual (no shorts, jeans or ties, please).  Music by the Rock-it-Men Band.

The cost for the reunion will be $40 per person.  Included in this cost is the rental of the Yacht Club, paper, envelopes, printer ink, stamps, food, bartender, carver and server fees.  If any of you would like to make a monetary donation to help underwrite the cost of the reunion, it will be greatly appreciated.

In order to meet planning deadlines, please respond by July 8th by returning the attached form, along with your check, made out to me, Dee Bartram. 

Updates on the reunion will be sent out by via e-mail to those of you that I have e-mail addresses for.  Also, Carol Buckley Harty, Class of 1965, has created a NNHS website at where I will also post updates.

We look forward to seeing you at the reunion!

NNHS Class of 1966 45-Year Reunion Committee

Dee Hodges Bartram      (757) 868-8443            E-mail:
Terri McAfee Artman               898-4042                
Judy Phillips Allen                   928-9748                  
Joe Dickson                            872-0690               

Albert Dorner                          874-3406                 
Richard Marshall                     851-2325              
Marilyn & Chuck Springfield    245-5887                 
Sandra Thomas Reinholdt       989-0942                 

Please send the registration form and your check, payable to Mrs. Dee Bartram, by July 8, 2011.  My address is 21 Laydon Way, Poquoson, VA  23662.   The cost after July 8th will be $50 per person. 

Please give me the count for each night.

Will attend:  Friday Night _______      Saturday Night _______

Name: ________________________________________ (Ladies – please include maiden name)        

Spouse/Guest Name: ____________________________

Address: ______________________________________


Phone: _______________  E-mail address: ___________________________

Amount Enclosed: _______________

NOTE:  If you are going to attend Friday only, I still need to know in order to give the restaurant a count.  Please extend me and the restaurant the courtesy of letting me know if you will be there by either e-mailing me at or calling me at (757) 868-8443.

If you are unable to attend the reunion, please e-mail or call me with any e-mail address updates or home address change updates.

   AN OPEN REUNION?!?  But of course, Dee - thanks so much!

The link is now on the main page as well as the Reunion Page:

2.        From Dave Spriggs ('64) of VA - 05/07/11 - "Newsletter Request":


Could you place the attached item in an upcoming newsletter and run it for a week or two? Any longer than that and people will just scroll past it.


Dave :


BETWEEN 1961 AND 1971 -------

… and you have not yet been contacted by the Reunion Committee, then please get in
touch with us. We want to include you in our reunion, which is scheduled for September
16 &17, 2011, at the David Student Union on the CNU campus.

P.O. BOX 6387
NORFOLK, VA 23508-0387
TEL: 757-627-1441

Plans for the reunion and other cool stuff may be found at our web site:

   Why, certainly, David! The link is now on the main page as well:

  From the Head Cheerleader of 1964, Jane Coltrain Leonard of VA - 06/16/11 - "Change of Email Address": 

Please change my email address to: __________@_______.___

I don't want to miss anything!

   GOTCHA! Thanks, Jane!

  From Jack Nelson ('54) of Northern VA - 06/18/11 - "NNHS CLASS OF 1954":

I added your name and email address to our NNHS Class of 1954 address list so that death notices, events, etc. will come to you as they relate to our class.  You may choose to include them in your newsletter or not, as that will be your choice.  I trust that you don't mind.  Much of the news related to our classes doesn't get enough publicity for those now living away from Newport News.
If you wish that I not include your name/email address, I will immediately delete it without further thought to it.
Jack Nelson - NNHS Class of 1954

   WOWZERS! Thank you so much, Jack! I really appreciate that; things often pass over my head, and then I feel really badly that I've missed them.

    From Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 06/16/11 - "The Covert Letter":


Posted: 15 Jun 2011 08:06 PM PDT


FREDERICK, Md. — There is good news regarding the nearly 2,300 Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) soldiers, who volunteered to serve as medical research subjects for the U. S. Army at Fort Detrick, Md., and Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, D.C. from 1954-1973.

The second health survey in 20 years of these “White Coat” participants reveals they have suffered no adverse health effects some 57 years later and there appears “no significant difference” in health profiles of men of similar age and demographic status.

The U. S. Army and the SDA church honored the men in 1998 for heroically putting themselves at risk to serve mankind. White Coat volunteers took part in more than 16 research protocols, including related studies in biological protective and safety devices and equipment.

White Coat volunteers testing integrity of M-4 Protective masks in the one-million liter test sphere at Fort Detrick, Md. (U.S. Army photo)

Findings in the new report were outlined at a medical briefing March 5, 2011 by Dr. Lawrence Beeson, associate professor of Epidemiology at Loma Linda (California) University School of Public Health. Dr. Beeson is heading the effort to complete a medical journal peer review in the fall.

A remarkable result showed 83 percent of the 535 respondents said they are in excellent to good health. The survey of 55-to-84-year-olds had a statistically significant 47.3 percent return rate.

Dr. Frank Damazo, M.D., SDA church liaison and advocate for White Coat soldiers. He pushed for health surveys as a record of the program's success. (Courtesy photo)

Respondents took part in one or more of the sixteen human-use protocols under direction of the U. S. Army Biological Warfare Laboratories at Camp and Fort Detrick, Md. These included: Q fever (first protocol); Anthrax, Yellow Fever, Plague, Tularemia and Chickungunya. There were no participant fatalities.

Their medical records are archived at Fort Detrick’s U. S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) and the National Archives and Records Administration Center in St. Louis, Missouri. Other information regarding the program is being gathered for retention in church archives.

Frederick, Md., surgeon Dr. Frank Damazo, M.D., took part in the oral presentation at Loma Linda University and provided historical perspective on the program, participants and its “military necessity.” He has been a liaison and church medical advisor for the White Coat program since moving to Frederick in 1956.

Dr. Damazo spearheaded efforts to recognize the service of these White Coat volunteers and to solicit empirical data about their two-year active duty service.

Technicians prepare for aerosol challenge test at base of one-million liter test sphere, the so-called Eight-Ball, at Fort Detrick. (U.S. Army photo)

Until the Selective Service System (SSS) suspended “drafting” young men into military service in 1973, SDA members were classified as “1-AO,” or conscientious objectors. They were required to report for induction, but given the option of serving in non-combat jobs including medics.

“Thirty-eight years following the completion of the projects– and after two health surveys and the review of 133 deaths,” Dr. Damazo asserted, “we can say with considerable confidence that this American and Adventist cooperative effort was carefully conceived, competently performed and carefully monitored with no deaths or long term adverse effects on the health of 2,300 participants.

“(The program) provided the first and largest study of the human body’s response to vaccines and infectious diseases. Plus it confirmed the safety of 15 vaccines…still in use that have saved many thousands of lives.

“The favorable health survey reports make it more important than ever that we continue to monitor the (future) causes of death (among the veterans). That would become the ultimate evaluation of the project exposures.”

First group of White Coat volunteers who took part in the Q fever research protocol. (Courtesy photo)

Dr. Beeson explained in a March 15, 2011 memo, “Both the first and second health surveys asked for a self-reported current health status. The different responses…were compared between those who had a specific exposure to those who did not have that exposure.”

The first health survey was conducted from 1991-92 by the U. S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), Fort Detrick. U. S. Army Col. Phillip R. Pittman, M.D. , headed the project with contributors Sarah L. Norris, MPH; Kevin M. Coonan, M.D.; and Kelly T. McKee, Jr., M.D. MPH. It was published in Military Medicine (170, 3:183 2005).  

“It is the goal of the current research team to publish in a similar manner the statistical analysis from the second survey,” Dr. Beeson continued, “It is difficult to predict when these results will be published…(it) is a very time-intensive process.”

Dr. Damazo agrees that this is verification of the extraordinary efforts taken to achieve valid human medical data in an environment of safety for all participants, including the local community.

Brig. Gen. William D. Tigertt assumed leadership of human use program in medical research. He was first commander of tte Army Medical Unit at Fort Detrick. (U.S. Army photo)

Genesis of the White Coat program included heated discussions about human “guinea pigs” predating World War II, but guidelines were set in stone with the Feb. 26, 1953 decision allowing human volunteers in chemical and medical/biological research. Secretary of Defense Charles E. Wilson’s signature allowed such research considering each volunteer subject is fully informed and is given the choice of participating.

The first approved human testing involved Pasteurella Tularensis (Tularemia) and took place among inmates at the Ohio State Penitentiary. Each passed a rigid physical and was fully informed of the protocol and expected outcomes.  Dr. Arnold G. Wedum of Camp Detrick was the first project coordinator. Col. (later Brigadier General) William D. Tiggert (M.D.) assumed control in 1955. Results were published beginning in 1961.

President Harry Truman strongly supported the Nuremberg Code, a 10-point manifesto adopted after the medical portion of the Nazi war crimes trials revealed the need for strict controls on human subjects in research. He recommended adoption of the policy to President Dwight Eisenhower.

U. S. Army Chemical Corps archives confirm that a large number of unsuspecting soldiers was subjected to testing with the hallucinogenic drug known as LSD at the Army’s Aberdeen Proving Ground before the human use directive was signed. That also predated medical research work at the U. S. Army Medical Unit (USAMU), forerunner of today’s USAMRIID.

The clandestine LSD research was captured on 16mm film showing soldiers in both field and indoor environments after being given the drug without their knowledge or consent. It has been the subject of numerous television reports and is a recurring black eye for the Chemical Corps and its pioneering efforts at the Aberdeen facility.

The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) also carried out clandestine research with such drugs as a part of a program secretly named Project MK-ULTRA. It was exposed after extensive news reports on the death of former Fort Detrick biochemist Dr. Frank Olson. He died after falling from the window of a New York City hotel in 1952.

Despite several investigations, some skeptics, including his sons Eric and Nils, continue to believe Dr. Olson’s death was part of a CIA conspiracy.  His work with the CIA was a clandestine research effort, separate from his Fort Detrick duties, with the goal of developing LSD as a covert weapon.

The Biological Warfare Laboratories mission included learning about infectious disease, its origin, life cycle, and means of transmission. It also sought means of diagnosing, treating and preventing infectious diseases. Aside from the Ohio State trials, biomedical information until 1955 was limited to animal data.

Col. Dan Crozier, who with BG Tigertt, recruited the first class of Seventh-day Adventist soldiers to be medical research subjects in the White Coat Program. (U. S. Army photo)

The late BG Tigertt, first USAMU commander in 1954, and the late Col. Dan Crozier (M.D.) of Fort Detrick were exacting in setting up the Nov. 3, 1955 agreement with The Seventh-day Adventist Church. It followed the strictest guideline of “informed consent” for every soldier prior to the start of any research protocol.

BG Tigertt and Colonel Crozier personally recruited the first classes of White Coat volunteers at the U. S. Army Medical Training Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The enlisted soldiers were undergoing advanced individual training to be combat medics.  Each was assigned to regular military duties at Fort Detrick and Walter Reed Hospital when not taking part in a research protocol.

SDA volunteers brought healthy life styles to the White Coat Program. Most did not consume alcohol or use tobacco and adhered to the church’s dietary guidelines. These factors enhanced the dependability of data captured in the protocols.

USAMU, which grew from the former Walter Reed satellite health clinic at Camp Detrick, provided medical care for all military and civilian personnel and monitored “defensive research” protocols.

USAMRIID continues to be the world’s leading research campus on diseases of “military significance.” According to the Department of Defense (DoD) guidelines, the definition includes diseases which may be: 1. a threat to American military personnel as either a naturally occuring disease in a theater of war, or; 2. one which could be artificially introduced on the battlefield as a debilitating or killing agent.–©Norman M. Covert 2011

Background:  (Nuremberg Code – Source Trials of War Criminals before the Nuremberg Military Tribunals under Control Council Law No. 10, Vol. 2, pp. 181–182. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1949.)

(Copies of the first health assessment of White Coats may be obtained by writing U. S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, MD 21702-5011.)

 #  #  #

 Mr. Covert was chief of public affairs and command historian for Headquarters U. S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command and Fort Detrick, MD, from 1977 to 1999. He is author of “Cutting Edge, a history of Fort Detrick, Maryland” and has assisted in the production of numerous television and radio reports on the history of biological warfare. 

You may contact Mr. Covert at

   OH, WOW! Thanks so much, Norm!

      From Dimples Dinwiddie Prichard ('58) of NC - 06/18/11 - "A must see! Lone Marine Rolling Thunder":

Carol and the Typhoon Nation....

This is something we should all take to heart. What amazing dedication !

Dimples aka Sepi

Lone Marine, Rolling Thunder
True dedication. A great veteran....broken wrist and all.

   WOWZERONI! SEMPER FI! Thank you so much, Dimples!

   From Eva Ellis Madagan ('61) of FL - 06/19/11 - "A keeper":

This e-mail really touched my heart. I think it will yours also.

A Keeper

Their marriage was good, their dreams focused.. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress; lawn mower in his hand, and dish-towel in hers.. It was the time for fixing things. A curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep. 
It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, eating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.
But then my mother died, and on that clear summer's night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any more. Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away ...never to return. So ..While we have it's best we love it ... And care for it .... And fix it when it's broken ... And heal it when it's sick.
This is true ...For marriage ... And old cars ... And children with bad report cards ... Dogs and cats with bad hips ... And aging parents ... And grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. 
Some things we keep. Like a best friend who moved away or a classmate we grew up with. There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special ... And so, we keep them close in heart and mind and spirit. 
I received this from someone who thinks I am a 'keeper', so I've sent it to the people I think of in the same way...
Now it's your turn to send this to those people that are 'keepers' in your life?
Family and friends are like stars ... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there! 

   OOH! This rather sums up the whole feeling we have here for one another, doesn't it? We want to keep one another close to us! Thanks so much for the reminder, Eva!

    From Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 06/18/11 - "God Bless this Airline Captain":


He writes: My lead flight attendant came to me and said, 'We have an H.R. on this flight'. H.R. stands for human remains. 'Are they military?' I asked.

'Yes', she said.

'Is there an escort?' I asked.

'Yes, I already assigned him a seat'.

'Would you please tell him to come to the flight deck. You can board him early', I said..

A short while later, a young army sergeant entered the flight deck. He was the image of the perfectly dressed soldier He introduced himself and I asked him about his soldier. The escorts of these fallen soldiers talk about them as if they are still alive and still with us.

'My soldier is on his way back to Virginia', he said.

He proceeded to answer my questions, but offered no words on his own.

I asked him if there was anything I could do for him and he said no. I told him that he had the toughest job in the military and that I appreciated the work that he does for the families of our fallen soldiers. The first officer and I got up out of our seats to shake his hand. He left the flight deck to find his seat.

We completed our preflight checks, pushed back and performed an uneventful departure. About 30 minutes into our flight I received a call from the lead flight attendant in the cabin. 'I just found out the family of the soldier we are carrying, is on board', he said. He then proceeded to tell me that the father, mother, wife and 2-year old daughter were escorting their son, husband, and father home The family was upset because they were unable to see the container that the soldier was in before we left. We were on our way to a major hub at which the family was going to wait four hours for the connecting flight home to Virginia.

The father of the soldier told the flight attendant that knowing his son was below him in the cargo compartment and being unable to see him was too much for him and the family to bear. He had asked the flight attendant if there was anything that could be done to allow them to see him upon our arrival. The family wanted to be outside by the cargo door to watch the soldier being taken off the airplane.. I could hear the desperation in the flight attendants voice when he asked me if there was anything I could do. 'I'm on it', I said. I told him that I would get back to him.

Airborne communication with my company normally occurs in the form of e-mail like messages. I decided to bypass this system and contact my flight dispatcher directly on a secondary radio. There is a radio operator in the operations control center who connects you to the telephone of the dispatcher. I was in direct contact with the dispatcher. I explained the situation I had on board with the family and what it was the family wanted. He said he understood and that he would get back to me.

Two hours went by and I had not heard from the dispatcher. We were going to get busy soon and I needed to know what to tell the family. I sent a text message asking for an update. I saved the return message from the dispatcher and this following is the text:

'Captain, sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. There is policy on this now and I had to check on a few things. Upon your arrival a dedicated escort team will meet the aircraft. The team will escort the family to the ramp and plane side. A van will be used to load the remains with a secondary van for the family. The family will be taken to their departure area and escorted into the terminal where the remains can be seen on the ramp. It is a private area for the family only. When the connecting aircraft arrives, the family will be escorted onto the ramp and plane side to watch the remains being loaded for the final leg home. Captain, most of us here in flight control are veterans. Please pass our condolences on to the family. Thanks.'

I sent a message back telling flight control thanks for a good job. I printed out the message and gave it to the lead flight attendant to pass on to the father. The lead flight attendant was very thankful and told me, 'You have no idea how much this will mean to them.'

Things started getting busy for the descent, approach and landing. After landing, we cleared the runway and taxied to the ramp area. The ramp is huge with 15 gates on either side of the alleyway. It is always a busy area with aircraft maneuvering every which way to enter and exit. When we entered the ramp and checked in with the ramp controller, we were told that all traffic was being held for us.

'There is a team in place to meet the aircraft', we were told. It looked like it was all coming together, then I realized that once we turned the seat belt sign off, everyone would stand up at once and delay the family from getting off the airplane. As we approached our gate, I asked the copilot to tell the ramp controller we were going to stop short of the gate to make an announcement to the passengers. He did that and the ramp controller said, 'Take your time.'

I stopped the aircraft and set the parking brake. I pushed the public address button and said, 'Ladies and gentleman, this is your Captain speaking. I have stopped short of our gate to make a special announcement. We have a passenger on board who deserves our honor and respect. His name is Private XXXXXX, a soldier who recently lost his life. Private XXXXXX is under your feet in the cargo hold. Escorting him today is Army Sergeant XXXXXXX. Also, on board are his father, mother, wife, and daughter. Your entire flight crew is asking for all passengers to remain in their seats to allow the family to exit the aircraft first. Thank you.'

We continued the turn to the gate, came to a stop and started our shutdown procedures. A couple of minutes later I opened the cockpit door. I found the two forward flight attendants crying, something you just do not see. I was told that after we came to a stop, every passenger on the aircraft stayed in their seats, waiting for the family to exit the aircraft.

When the family got up and gathered their things, a passenger slowly started to clap his hands. Moments later more passengers joined in and soon the entire aircraft was clapping. Words of 'God Bless You', I'm sorry, thank you, be proud, and other kind words were uttered to the family as they made their way down the aisle and out of the airplane. They were escorted down to the ramp to finally be with their loved one.

Many of the passengers disembarking thanked me for the announcement I had made. They were just words, I told them, I could say them over and over again, but nothing I say will bring back that brave soldier.

I respectfully ask that all of you reflect on this event and the sacrifices that millions of our men and women have made to ensure our freedom and safety in these United States of America.

Foot note:

As a Viet Nam Veteran I can only think of all the veterans including the ones that rode below the deck on their way home and how they were treated.

When I read things like this I am proud that our country has not turned their backs on our soldiers returning from the various war zones today and give them the respect they so deserve.

I know every one who has served their country who reads this will have tears in their eyes, including me.
Prayer chain for our Military... Don't break it!

Please send this on after a short prayer for our service men and women. They die for me and mine and you and yours and deserve our honor and respect.

'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen.'

Prayer Request: When you receive this, please stop for a moment and say a prayer for our troops around the world.

There is nothing attached. Just send this to people in your address book. Do not let it stop with you.

Of all the gifts you could give a Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & others deployed in harm's way, prayer is the very best one.


     Thanks so much, Glenn!


    From Tom Flax ('64) of VA - 05/31/11, 12:07PM - "notice for website":

Good day, Miss Carol,
I hope your move is going smoothly.. but it is surely hot here in the south..
My wife and I would like for you to publish on the website in your own words the following:
Tom and Nancy Flax will be going on a 2 night "cruise to nowhere" on the Carnival Glory on Saturday, October 22, 2011 for a 2 nights out of Norfolk, Virginia, and invite all Typhoons to join them.

If interested you can contact Carnival Cruise online for details, or call 1-800-819-3902 ext 85703 (mention the Flax party to Jean Michel). He will hook you up. The cruise leaves Saturday afternoon from Norfolk, Virginia and returns home on Monday morning 8AM. Come join the "fun, food and friendship on the carnival cruise ship..."

Thanks, Carol.. have a great summer...  

Tom Flax NNHS 64

   COOL BEANS! Your words seem just fine and dandy to me, Tom! Y'all have fun!


From - 06/17/11:
The manager of a large office noticed a new man one day and told him to come into his office.

"What is your name?" was the first thing the manager asked the new guy.

"John," the new guy replied.

The manager scowled, "Look, I don't know what kind of a namby-pamby place you worked at before, but I don't call anyone by his first name. It breeds familiarity and that leads to a breakdown in authority. I refer to my employees by their last name only - Smith, Jones, Baker - that's all. I am to be referred to only as Mr. Robertson. Now that we got that straight, what is your last name?"

The new guy sighed and said, "Darling. My name is John Darling."

"Okay, John, the next thing I want to tell you is..."


1. Thursday, July 7, 2011 - The NNHS Class of 1955 holds Lunch Bunch gatherings on the first Thursday of every month at Steve & John's Steak House on Jefferson Avenue just above Denbigh Boulevard in Newport News at 11:00 AM. The luncheon is not limited to just the Class of '55; if you have friends in that year, go visit with them.

2. Saturday, July 9, 2011 (6:30 PM to 11:30 PM) - The Class of 1971 will hold its 40-Year Reunion at Newport News Marriott at City Center, 740 Town Center Drive, Newport News. For details, contact Richard Rawls at - CLASS OF 1971

3. Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - The NNHS Class of June 1942 meets at noon on the second Wednesday of every other month for a Dutch treat lunch at the James River Country Club, 1500 Country Club Road. PLEASE JOIN THEM. Give or take a few years makes no difference. Good conversation, food and atmosphere. For details, call Jennings Bryan at 803-7701 for reservations.

4. Friday and Saturday, August 19 and 20, 2011 - The Class of 1966 will hold its 45-Year Reunion at RJ's Restaurant and Pun AND the Warwick Yacht Club, Newport News.  DETAILS:; CONTACT: Dee Hodges Bartram at - OPEN REUNION!

5. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, August 26, 27, and 28, 2011 - The Class of 1961 will hold its 50-Year Reunion. - For details, see: and contact Gary Fitzgerald at or 757-879-2847 - CLASS OF 1961

6. Saturday, September 17, 2011 - Evelyn's Birthday Party for Everyone - Canepa Cottage, Buckroe Beach - 2:00 PM. For details, contact Evelyn Fryer Fish ('58) of TX at - OPEN TO EVERYBODY!

7. Wednesday and Thursday, October 19 and 20, 2011 - The Class of 1956 will hold its 55-Year Reunion. Be on the lookout for "snail mail" in early May. - CLASS OF 1956

PRAYER ROLL : - updated 05/05/11

BLOG: - updated 03/13/11

 Y'all take care of each other!  TYPHOONS FOREVER!  We'll Always Have Buckroe!

                                   Love to all, Carol





Carol Buckley Harty
7020 Lure Court
Fayetteville, NC 28311-9309



1. Visit the main page (, scroll halfway down, and click on the Pay Pal Donate Button (;

2. Go to, log in, select "Send Money (Services) to; or

3. Just mail it directly to my home. Thanks!    

My Father's Eyes

Written and recorded by
Eric Clapton, 1998
(b. 30 Mar 1945)

Sailing down behind the sun,
Waiting for my prince to come.
Praying for the healing rain
To restore my soul again.

Just a toerag on the run.
How did I get here?
What have I done?
When will all my hopes arise?
How will I know him?
When I look in my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.
When I look in my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.

Then the light begins to shine
And I hear those ancient lullabies.
And as I watch this seedling grow,
Feel my heart start to overflow.

Where do I find the words to say?
How do I teach him?
What do we play?
Bit by bit, I've realized
That's when I need them,
That's when I need my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.
That's when I need my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.

Then the jagged edge appears
Through the distant clouds of tears.
I'm like a bridge that was washed away;
My foundations were made of clay.

As my soul slides down to die.
How could I lose him?
What did I try?
Bit by bit, I've realized
That he was here with me;
I looked into my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.
I looked into my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.

My father's eyes.
My father's eyes.
I looked into my father's eyes.
My father's eyes.

"My Father's Eyes" midi courtesy of - 05/26/06

"My Father's Eyes" lyrics courtesy
of's-Eyes-lyrics-Eric-Clapton/7B1847A04BDBFF71482568770030D3C7 - 05/26/06

Happy Father's Day Image courtesy of - 06/28/11 (sic)

Divider Line 111 clip art courtesy of - 03/28/10

Animated Tiny Birthday Cake clip art courtesy of Sarah Puckett Kressaty ('65) of VA - 08/31/05
Thanks, Sarah Sugah!

Navy Seal clip art courtesy of - 05/29/06

John Marshall High School's Justice Scale clip art courtesy of Cheryl White Wilson (JMHS - '64) of VA - 10/13/05 (replaced 02/23/09)
Thanks, Cheryl!

Army Seal clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 05/24/06 (still missing...)
Thanks, Al!
Replaced by Norm Covert ('61) of MD - 02/09/09
Thanks, Norm!

Animated Cheering Smiley clip art courtesy of Al Farber ('64) of GA - 08/18/05 (re-saved 02/27/09)
Thanks, Al!

Animated BOO-HOO courtesy of Glenn Dye ('60) of TX - 08/28/09
Thanks, Glenn!

Back to NNHS Newsletters - 2011

Return to NNHS Class of 1965